Sunday, August 1, 2010

Delicious and Easy Pancakes


Pancakes are probably my favorite food ever.  I like all kinds (as long as they don’t include bananas).  One of my favorite recipes for pancakes uses ricotta cheese in the batter.  The result is light and fluffy pancakes with a slightly savory taste.  Unfortunately, the recipe is also pretty high maintenance because it involves mixing wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls plus beating egg whites!  Most mornings I am not in the mood to get this many dishes dirty.  When I was home last Christmas I discovered sour cream pancakes and I fell in love.  They have a very similar texture and taste to the ricotta ones but they are WAY easier.   
I think it is also worth noting that the quality of pancakes is closely tied to the griddle you are using.  My parents have a huge amazing cast iron griddle that I use when I am at home.  It adds so much flavor and cooks the pancakes perfectly.  I don’t own any cast iron but I think I might need to add it to my Christmas/birthday wish list.


Sour Cream Pancakes
1 cup sour cream
7 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter
Berries. Chocolate chips, nuts, etc. (optional)
Pancake syrup

Warm up your griddle, iron skillet or frying pan.   I usually set the heat around medium but I always do a test pancake first to make sure it’s the right heat.
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl then add sour cream. Very gently, stir ingredients till they are mixed together, but not completely combined. It’s best to have the batter with a little bit of lumpy texture.
Add eggs and vanilla to sour cream/flour mixture. Stir gently until all ingredients are mixed well.
Melt about a tablespoon of butter onto skillet/pan/griddle. Pour about 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto the pan. Add whatever you want to the batter- I like blueberries and dark chocolate chips best.
Cook each side of the pancake for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the pancakes turn brown.

making a giant pancake for my dad


No comments:

Post a Comment