Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls


I realized this morning that I needed to hurry up and post these before resolutions and diets turn everyone against sugar.  For those of you who regularly read my blog, you may notice that these are not my typical fare.  It’s not that they are unhealthy- I post plenty of caloric recipes that will clog your arteries.  But usually when I eat something decadent, I like to make it completely from scratch to ensure that every component is as delicious as it can possibly be.  If I am going to have to do fifty lunges to work something off, it better be worth it! 

But every once in a while, a magical recipe comes along that has a lot of shortcut ingredients but is also COMPLETELY DELICIOUS.  My mom has been making these rolls for Christmas morning since before I can remember and they are amazing.  I actually have some serious self-control issues around them.  For example- I always volunteer to put the leftovers away so that I can cut off the really gooey middle pieces and have a few (10) perfect last bites.  Then I suffer through the inevitable tummy ache (it’s so worth it) and usually don’t eat again until Christmas dinner. 

Anyways, back to the shortcut ingredients- I was so surprised when I asked for the recipe last year and learned that they include packaged butterscotch pudding!  I can say with some certainty that you will probably never see me post another recipe with packaged pudding of any kind.  But these rolls are perfect for holidays or special occasions when you don’t want to spend hours making a mess in the kitchen and waiting for dough to rise.  You simply throw all of the ingredients in a bundt pan (without even mixing them together!) and then they rise overnight so they are magically ready to bake the next morning.  They would also be ideal for New Year’s brunch- throw everything together before going out for new year’s eve and all you have to do in the morning is pre-heat the oven.  Your hangover will thank you.



CHRISTMAS MORNING CINNAMON ROLLS 
serves 6 (or more if you have self control)
Click here to print

18 Rhodes frozen white dinner rolls
1 cup brown sugar
1 small pkg (not instant) butterscotch pudding
¼ cup white sugar
1 cube melted butter

Grease and flour bundt pan. Put rolls(still frozen) in bundt pan. Sprinkle ingredients over rolls then drizzle with the melted butter. No need to mix. Let sit overnight on counter. Preheat the oven to 350.  Cover a large baking sheet with foil (in case the rolls bubble over), place the bundt pan on the foil and bake for 20-30 minutes.  Invert onto a large platter, then scrape the bundt pan so that you don't waste any of the gooey deliciousness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment