Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Highlights from Maui















I had this great idea to document all of the fish tacos that we ate while we were in Maui and I was going to rank them and decide which one was best. Unfortunately, when faced with a delicious taco, I often forgot to actually take a picture and document. I’ll have to save it for another trip. But really, it’s pretty hard to find a bad fish taco in Maui…
In other food news, I discovered what may be my new favorite fish. It’s called Hawaiian Butter Fish (or Walu in Hawaiian). We got it from this adorable fish store in Kihei called Eskimo Candy.
We simply seasoned it with salt and pepper and grilled it along with some vegetables. We also made couscous with walnuts and golden raisins. It was delicious and overall a very healthy and well balanced meal.
















Speaking of grilled vegetables, I have recently started grilling broccoli like crazy. It tastes even more delicious than roasted broccoli (and broccolini) and it doesn't make the house smell like old socks. I like it really charred and crispy:



















The only other meal I managed to document was an amazing salad from the Flatbread Company in Paia. I was just looking up the website and I discovered that they have ten locations- including Boston where I will be living next year! They have a huge emphasis on local produce so I’m sure the menu must vary with each location. The salad that we had was mixed greens with seaweed, green papaya, avocado, carrots, red onion, and tomatoes in a pineapple-tamari vinaigrette. It was delicious and so beautiful.




















After dinner we watched surfers catching huge scary waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment