Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Delicious Non-Grilled Shrimp

I wish I had a grill. All winter long, I make lists of recipes that require the use of a grill, and I save them for summer when I can take advantage of Mom and Dad's grill. The latest cover of Food and Wine had a recipe that would normally go onto the list but I decided to make it now using the inferior tools of my kitchen. It was delicious and very easy. I'm sure it would be even better with the smokey taste of the grill but I didn't really even miss it.

This is the link to the original recipe on F&W:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/soba-noodles-with-grilled-shrimp-and-cilantro

Below is the recipe with the adaptations I made for cooking sans grill.



















Soba Noodles with Shrimp and Cilantro
serves 4

6 ounces soba noodles
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon agave syrup (you can substitute with sugar)
3 large shallots, thinly sliced and separated into rings
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
juice from one lime
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper




Cook noodles in large pot of boiling water until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Return to pan and add 2 tablespoons of the oil, along with soy sauce, agave syrup, and lime juice.

In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring until the shallots are golden brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel lined plate.

Add the garlic to the oil in the pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow the garlic to cook for several minutes until golden. Add the shrimp to the garlic and oil. Raise the heat to medium-high and allow shrimp to become pink. DO NOT overcook or the shrimp will become tough and gross.

Add noodles to the pan along with cilantro, scallions, shallots, and crushed red pepper. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment