Sunday, September 27, 2009

My New Favorite Food


Until about a month ago, I hated beets. It was completely unjustified since I had never actually tried them. I think because I associated them with canned cranberry sauce, they never appealed to me.

Luckily, I had dinner at Bouchon (which I had been wanting to try since forever) when I was in Napa with my college roomies this summer. We tried to order the chilled garlic beet soup but they accidentally brought us a side of roasted beets. We eventually ended up with both and I fell in love.



Spinach Salad with Roasted Beets and Prosciutto
Serves 4

4 Beets, scrubbed and detached from greens (I mixed regular and golden)
5 oz Spinach (or Arugula)
1/2 lb high quality prosciutto
Parmesan

Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil


Preheat the oven to 425

Double wrap the beets in foil and roast them in oven for 1.5 hours. Let cool, then peel and chop into bite size pieces.

Toss spinach with balsamic and olive oil and season to taste. Distribute portions onto plates and top with beets, several pieces of prosciutto, and shaved Parmesan.




1 comment: