Thursday, October 20, 2011

Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Kale


This post is kind of cheating because I actually already wrote about this recipe last year.  However, the lighting in the pictures is horrible because I was still relying on my phone to take pictures at that point and I just don’t think I did the recipe justice.  I have also slightly altered it this time- replacing the Yukon potatoes with sweet potatoes instead (which I highly recommend).  One of the downsides to blogging is that I rarely re-make recipes because then I can’t post them!  But sometimes a recipe is so good it deserves more attention.

I made this on a Sunday night after a long day in the library and it came together so quickly.  I love recipes that only require about four main ingredients.  The only tricky aspect of this recipe is fitting all of the kale into the roasting pan.  Don’t skimp on it though because it will cook down to almost nothing.  This meal was so easy and yummy that I have decided to incorporate a version of this dish into my regular rotation- using other vegetables like Brussels sprouts, parsnips, and carrots.



Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Kale
makes 4 servings
1 lb kale, stems and inner ribs removed
1 lb sweet potatoes, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and fresh pepper
4 whole chicken legs
1 teaspoon paprika
Lemon wedges, for serving

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a very large roasting pan, toss the kale, sweet potatoes, and onion with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
Generously season chicken with salt and pepper. Set them skin side up on the vegetables and sprinkle with paprika.

Cover the pan with foil. Roast in the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and roast for 30 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Transfer chicken to plates along with the vegetables. Serve with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment